After a brilliant 165* in the second test match played at Melbourne Cricket Ground, Australian test captain Steve Smith ended the year as the top batsmen in the latest ICC test batsmen rankings announced today.
Virat Kohli who had a brilliant test series against England remained at second place. He scored more than 650 runs which helped India whitewash England 4-0 and remain the number 1 ranked team in test matches. The third place is occupied by Joe Root who also had a decent series against India.
The fourth place is occupied by New Zealand test captain Kane Williamson. David Warner performed exceptionally well in the first innings of the second test match at MCG scoring 144. Because of this performance he has climbed to 5th in the batsmen rankings.
Azhar Ali who scored 205 not out in the first innings of 2nd test against Australia at MCG has come to sixth in the rankings. Hashim Amla has dropped down to 7th in the rankings because of his poor performance in the first test match against Sri Lanka.
His fellow partner AB De Villiers has also slipped down to 8th in the rankings. Wicketkeeper batsmen from South Africa Quniton De Kock is at 9th with good performances in the first test.
Pujara has dropped down to 10th with good performances in the test series against England. Here we look at the latest ICC batsmen rankings.
- Steve Smith(Australia)- 937 points
- Virat Kohli(India)- 875 points
- Joe Root(England)- 848 points
- Kane Williamson(New Zealand)- 817 points
- David Warner(Australia)- 790 points
- Azhar Ali(Pakistan)- 787 points
- Hashim Amla(South Africa)- 778 points
- AB De Villiers(South Africa)- 770 points
- Quniton De Kock (South Africa)- 740 points
- Cheteshwar Pujara(India)- 739 points